- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Serves: 10
This layered bread can go from ordinary to remarkable when paired with your choice of dal or curry. And kids just love it.
- 2½ cups Golden Temple® Durum Atta Flour Blend + extra for dusting
- ¾ cup water
- 1 tsp salt or to taste
- ¼ cup Ghee or Crisco® Vegetable Oil for layering and pan frying
- 1 Slowly combine flour and salt with water in a large mixing bowl. Knead for 8-10 minutes to form soft dough. Cover with damp cloth and set aside 5 minutes.
- 2 Place dough on lightly floured work station. Knead dough with both hands for 1-2 minutes. Divide into 10 parts.
- 3 Dust rolling board lightly with additional flour if necessary. Use rolling pin to roll balls into circles about 3½” (8-9 cm) wide. Dust dough while rolling to prevent sticking. Brush ¼ tsp (1 mL) of ghee/oil on surface of rolled dough. Lift one side and fold it over the other to make a semicircle. Brush oil on exposed side again and fold one corner over the other to make a triangle. Dust both sides of the layered dough triangle. Roll into a thin triangle.
- 4 Heat skillet on medium high heat. Place rolled dough onto skillet. Cook for 18-20 seconds or until dough turns darker and small bubbles break the surface. Flip. Cook for 12-15 seconds. Brush ghee/oil on surface. Flip. Cook for 15-18 seconds or until golden brown spots appear on the surface, gently pressing the paratha with spatula. Flip. Repeat. Remove from skillet when both sides are cooked.
- 5 Wrap paratha in a clean dry cloth. Place in a wide airtight container.
- 6 Serve hot with a side of chutney, pickle, raita or your choice of curry.
©/TM/® Smucker Foods of Canada Corp.