- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 15-20 minutes
- Serves: 15
A ubiquitous staple in India. Making roti is an art and a science. Once you get the hang of it, you can make them in a jiffy.
- 2½ cups Golden Temple® Whole Wheat Atta Flour + extra for dusting
- 1 cup water
- 1 Slowly combine flour with water in a large mixing bowl. Knead for 8-10 minutes to form soft dough. Cover with damp cloth and set aside 5 minutes.
- 2 Place dough on lightly floured work station. Knead for 1-2 minutes to smooth dough. Divide dough into 15 parts.
- 3 Heat a heavy bottom tava, griddle or skillet on medium high temperature.
- 4 Dust rolling board lightly with flour. Use rolling pin to roll dough ball into thin circle about 3½” (8-9 cm) wide. Lightly dust dough while rolling to prevent sticking.
- 5 Place rolled dough on tava/hot skillet. Cook for about 15-18 seconds or until it starts to change colour and small bubbles break the surface. Use tongs to flip. Cook other side for 12-15 seconds. Flip. Use muslin cloth to apply gentle pressure on the edges while moving roti in circular motion until it puffs, 12-15 seconds. Flip and repeat on other side, 5-8 minutes.
- 6 Remove from heat. Wrap rotis in a clean dry cloth. Place in a wide air tight container.
- 7 Serve with choice of curry, dry sabzi or dal.
©/TM/® Smucker Foods of Canada Corp.