- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 50-55 minutes
- Makes: 16-18
- Freezing: excellent
Be the first to rate this recipe
Methi Theplas have staying power, literally! Filling and satisfying, these are great for a picnic or even when you travel.
- 1½ cups (375 mL) Golden Temple® Durum Atta Flour Blend + extra for dusting
- 1½ cups (375 mL) chickpea flour
- ¾ cup (175 mL) frozen fenugreek greens, thawed, excess liquid squeezed
- ½ cup (125 mL) yogurt
- 1 tsp (5mL) cumin seeds
- 1 tsp (5 mL) turmeric
- 1 tsp (5 mL) Thai green chilies, chopped
- 1½ tsp (7 mL) salt or to taste
- 2 tsp (10 mL) ghee or Crisco® Vegetable Oil + extra for pan frying
- ¾ cup (175 mL) water
- Combine first 8 ingredients in a mixing bowl. Add 2 tsp (10 mL) ghee or oil. Gradually add water. Use hands to bring ingredients together and knead into smooth dough.
- Divide dough into 16-18 parts. Roll them into balls.
- Heat tava or a thick bottom skillet on medium high heat.
- Dust rolling board lightly with additional flour. Use rolling pin to roll balls into thin circles about 3½” (8-9 cm) wide. Lightly dust dough while rolling to prevent sticking.
- Heat skillet on medium high. Place rolled dough onto skillet. Cook for 18-20 seconds or until the dough turns darker and small bubbles break the surface. Flip. Cook for 12-15 seconds. Brush ghee/oil on surface. Flip. Cook for 15-18 seconds or until golden brown spots appear on surface, gently pressing thepla with the back of spatula. Flip. Repeat. Remove from skillet when both sides are cooked.
- Wrap theplas in a clean dry cloth. Place in wide airtight container until served.
- ©/® Smucker Foods of Canada Corp. or its affiliates.