- Prep Time: 10-15 minutes
- Cook Time: about 30-35 minutes
- Serves: 6
- Freezing: excellent
This combination of spinach and paneer makes many forget that they don’t like greens. Even kids love this dish…and that says a lot!
- 3 tbsp (45 mL) Crisco® Vegetable Oil
- 1½ tbsp (22 mL) ginger garlic paste
- 1 cup (250 mL) fresh onion paste
- ½ tsp (2 mL) turmeric
- 1½ tbsp (22 mL) coriander powder
- 1½ tsp (7 mL) garam masala
- 1 tsp (5 mL) cayenne pepper
- 1½ cups (375 mL) tomatoes, peeled, puréed
- ½ cup (125 mL) water
- 1 lb (454 grams) fresh spinach blanched, puréed
- ¼ cup (50 mL) heavy cream
- Salt to taste
- 8 oz (225 grams) paneer, cubed
- Heat oil in a thick bottom, large pan over medium high heat. Add ginger garlic paste. Cook for 30-40 seconds. Add onion paste. Cook on medium heat for 8-10 minutes until brown and it turns into a loose paste.
- Add turmeric, coriander, garam masala and cayenne pepper. Stir. Add tomatoes. Cook on medium high heat for 8-10 minutes until everything comes together to a loose paste with no extra liquid.
- Add water and spinach. Cook for 5-8 minutes on medium heat. Add heavy cream. Cook for 3-5 minutes. Add paneer cubes. Mix well. Simmer for 5 minutes on medium low heat.
- Turn off heat. Cover for 3-5 minutes. Serve hot with roti, paratha, naan or rice.
- For extra flavour, add 4-5 cloves and 1 tsp (5 mL) fennel seeds while puréeing spinach. Substituting heavy cream with sour cream is also a tasty alternative.
- ©/® Smucker Foods of Canada Corp. or its affiliates.