- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 30-35 minutes
- Serves: 6
- Freezing: excellent
Every Indian family has its own version of this popular dish. No matter what the variation, it’s one easy way to make kids love vegetables.
- 2½ tbsp (37 mL) Crisco® Vegetable Oil
- 1 pinch asafetida
- ½ tsp (2 mL) cumin seeds
- ½ cup (125 mL) red onions, chopped
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) ginger garlic paste
- ½ tsp (2 mL) turmeric
- 1½ tbsp (22 mL) coriander powder
- Salt to taste
- 1 tsp (5 mL) garam masala
- 2 tbsp (30mL) water
- 1 lb (450 grams) cauliflower, washed and cut into 2” (5 cm) chunks
- 10 oz (285 grams) potatoes, peeled, washed and cut into 1½” (3.75 cm) pieces
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) cilantro, chopped
- Heat oil in a thick bottom pan. Add asafetida and cumin seeds. As they sputter add onions. Sauté on medium heat until golden brown, 3-5 minutes.
- Add ginger garlic paste. Sauté for another minute. Add turmeric, coriander powder, salt and garam masala. Stir. Add water. Mix. Turn heat to medium low. Let simmer for 1 minute.
- Add cauliflower and potatoes. Stir and toss everything together. Cover and cook on medium heat for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Uncover and continue cooking for another 8-10 minutes scraping the bottom and sides until vegetables are cooked through.
- Turn off heat. Garnish with cilantro and serve hot with roti and a side of dal.
- Soak cut potatoes and cauliflower in lukewarm water to prevent them from browning.
- ©/® Smucker Foods of Canada Corp. or its affiliates.