- Prep Time: 15-20 minutes
- Cook Time: about 25-30 minutes
- Serves: 4-6
- Freezing: excellent
Small tender okra work best for this recipe and cook well with spices.
- 3 tbsp (45 mL) Crisco® Vegetable Oil
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) ginger garlic paste
- 1 cup (250 mL) onions, chopped
- ½ tsp (2 mL) turmeric
- 1½ tbsp (22 mL) coriander powder
- 1 tsp (5 mL) garam masala
- Salt to taste
- 1 cup (250 mL) tomatoes, chopped
- 5 cups (1250 mL) okra, cleaned, cut lengthwise into halves
- Heat oil in a thick bottom pan. Add ginger garlic paste and onions. Sauté for 5-8 minutes on medium high heat, until translucent.
- Add turmeric, coriander powder, garam masala and salt. Stir. Add tomatoes. Cook 8-10 minutes, until it melts into a loose paste.
- Add okra. Stir well. Cover and cook on medium heat for 8-10 minutes, stirring occasionally, until almost done.
- Uncover and continue cooking for 5-8 minutes, scraping the sides and bottom until okra is soft.
- Turn off heat.
- Serve hot with yellow dal and rice.
- To reduce stove-top time, toss okra with 2 tablespoons of oil, spread on a baking sheet and bake at 375˚F (190˚C) for 15-20 minutes before cooking with spices on stove top.
- ©/® Smucker Foods of Canada Corp. or its affiliates.