Kashmiri Dum Aloo
- Prep Time: 2 hrs 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 35-40 minutes
- Serves: 4-6
- Freezing: excellent
Be the first to rate this recipe
Traditionally, this dish is slow-cooked while the lid is sealed with dough. Re-create the taste with some quick steps to match today’s busy lifestyle.
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) poppy seeds
- 1/3 cup (75 mL) heavy cream
- 1¼ cups (300 mL) red onions, sliced
- 1½ tbsp (22 mL) ginger garlic paste
- ½ cinnamon stick
- 1 tsp (5 mL) cloves, whole
- 3 black cardamoms, whole
- ¼ cup (50 mL) Crisco® Vegetable Oil
- ½ tsp (2 mL) cumin seeds
- ½ tsp (2 mL) turmeric
- 1½ tbsp (22 mL) coriander powder
- 1½ tsp (7 mL) garam masala
- ½ tsp (2 mL) cayenne pepper
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) Kashmiri lal mirch powder
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) kasuri methi
- 1½ cups (375 mL) fresh tomato puree
- Salt to taste
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) sugar
- 1 lb (454 grams) baby potatoes, boiled till fork tender, peeled, deep fried till lightly golden
- 1½ cups (375 mL) water
- ¼ cup (50 mL) cilantro, chopped
- Soak poppy seeds in heavy cream for 2 hours. Grind into smooth paste. Set aside.
- Grind onions, ginger garlic paste, cinnamon, cloves and black cardamom into a paste. Add a few tablespoons of water to aid smooth grinding.
- Heat oil in a thick bottom pan. Add cumin seeds. As they sputter add onion mixture. Cook on medium heat for 8-10 minutes until golden and it turns into a loose paste.
- Add turmeric, coriander, garam masala, cayenne pepper, Kashmiri lal mirch and kasuri methi. Stir. Add tomato purée. Cook on medium high heat for 12-15 minutes until it forms a loose paste and excess liquid evaporates.
- Add salt and sugar. Stir. Add poppy seed paste. Mix well. Add potatoes. Cover and cook for 2-3 minutes on medium high heat.
- Uncover, add water. Simmer for 10 minutes on medium low heat until potatoes absorb sauce and it gets thicker.
- Turn off heat. Garnish with cilantro. Serve hot with rice, naan and salad.
- Try pan frying the potatoes with 1 tbsp (15 mL) oil over medium heat until golden on the surface.
- ©/® Smucker Foods of Canada Corp. or its affiliates.