- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Cook Time: about 15 -20 minutes
- Serves: 6
- Freezing: excellent
Be the first to rate this recipe
Sweet green peas, spicy garam masala and a hint of other spices make this dish deliciously divine.
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) Crisco® Vegetable Oil
- ½ tsp (2 mL) cumin seeds
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) ginger garlic paste
- ½ cup (125 mL) onions, chopped
- ½ tsp (2 mL) turmeric
- 1½ tbsp (22 mL) coriander powder
- 1 tsp (5 mL) garam masala
- ½ cup (125 mL) tomatoes, chopped
- Salt to taste
- 2½ cups (2½ cups ) frozen peas, thawed
- 1 cup (250 mL) water
- Heat oil in a thick bottom pan. Add cumin seeds. As they sputter, add ginger garlic paste. Cook for 30-40 seconds. Add onions. Cook for 3-5 minutes until it begins to brown.
- Add turmeric, coriander and garam masala. Stir. Add tomatoes. Cook on medium heat for about 5 minutes or until it turns into a loose paste. Add salt.
- Add peas. Stir well. Cover, cook for 5 minutes. Add water. Cover, cook for 8-10 minutes until it comes to a boil. Turn off heat.
- Serve with a side of saffron rice.
- Use fresh peas, when available. Adjust the quantity of water to 2 cups and cook longer until tender.
- ©/® Smucker Foods of Canada Corp. or its affiliates.