- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 5-8 minutes
- Makes: 15
- Freezing: not recommended
Be the first to rate this recipe
Pair these crispy treats with a hot cup of masala chai, curl on the couch and unwind!
- 1 cup (250 mL) Golden Temple® No. 1 Fine Durum Atta Flour
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) semolina (sooji)
- 1 tsp (5 mL) salt
- ½ tsp (2 mL) ajwain (caraway seeds)
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) Crisco® Vegetable Oil + 3 cups (750 mL) for deep frying
- ⅓ cup (75 mL) water
- Mix dry ingredients in a large mixing bowl. Add oil. Mix by rubbing small portions between palms until oil is mixed well. Slowly add water. Use hands to bring everything together.
- Knead 8-10 minutes into stiff dough. Divide into 15 parts.
- Use hands to roll into balls. Gently press between palms to form flat circles. Poke gently with a fork.
- Heat oil in a wok or fryer on medium heat, about 300°F (149°C). Deep fry until golden, about 5 minutes.
- Store in airtight containers until served. Serve with lemon or mango pickle.
- Make sure oil is not smoky hot for deep frying. Cook on medium low heat for crisp mathris.